How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I recently lost my wife,due to cancer,in January 2016. Due

Customer Question

I recently lost my wife,due to cancer,in January 2016. Due to my age,86, it has been necessary for me to downsize my accomodation to a one bedroomed flat which also makes me have closer access to my family. My house I vacated in Feb 16 is currently up for sale. About 2002 my wife and I put our house in Trust through a local solicitor o cement our joint will wishes that this property,together with all our assets, would eventually be equally shared by my two sons. All documentation is held by my solicitor. Since my move, and at present the house is unoccupied. The local council allowed me 3 months Council Tax relief.but as from May 26th 2016 this relief ended and I am now paying a total of £1,293.58 by monthly instalments until 20/01/17. As my total present OAP pension and income comes to £950.00 a month, this is a worry for me,as I still pay expences for my flat. Any answers or guidence would be most welcome. Thankyou ! My tel no is 01263-502412 e-mail [email protected],com ******
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Is your question how to avoid paying council tax on this empty property?

You say you transferred the property into trust for your sons? Why did you do that? Why are they not paying the council tax?