How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My wife and I lived in England and were married in 1965. In

This answer was rated:

My wife and I lived in England and were married in 1965. In 1967 we emigrated to Quebec, Canada. In 2004 we were legally separated by the Quebec Superior Court.
My spouse still lives in Canada but I moved back to England in 2007.
Assuming total agreement by my spouse, am I able to carry out divorce proceedings in England?

Hi, thank you for your question. If you were not divorced in Canada then you can pursue a divorce in England. As you have been separated since at leadt 2004 you can apply under the fact of 5 years separation and you do not need her consent or agreement - all you will need is to prove to the coirt that she is aware of the petition.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you