How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Please i need your advice, unintentionally i have scratched

This answer was rated:

Hi please i need your advice, unintentionally i have scratched my nighbour car with a key. Its a stright scrach 1 feet. There was a CCTV which record it. My neighbour report it to police. Police came to my home and told me thr seen the cctv tht i m scratching the car. They give me 2 option either i will be charge or repair the demage. I choose to pay the demage but neighbour is asking to respary whole car rather then repair the scrach . Police give 1 week to neighbour to get the quote. Car quiet old 05 model. If she get a quote of 1k or 2k i won't be able to pay tht i have no finance. Wht should i do ? Should i feel guilty and go to court? How much court can fine? Plz give me ur advice. Thanks

How did you come to do it unintentionally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a very bad day on job and i was upset
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u gona call me? Or reply here?

I need the information I asked for?

How did you come to do it unintentionally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was passing thru the neighbour car and the neighbour park her car where i normally park it. And i just scratch it little

Ok. That isn't unintentional then.

Are you prepared to risk going to court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Police officer came to my home and asked me the demage, i agree to pay the demage but lady demanded for full respray. Which cost alot. I cant.affored to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whts the risk factor of cour? How much i get fined?

Well then if you can't comply with restorative justice the only option is to go to court.

You could offer a lesser sum. You could offer payment in instalments.

The truth is that even if you went to court she might well get that sum anyway if she can show that is what it will cost. A complete respray is probably the only way to resolve this so that she is in the position she was before I'm afraid.

I would try to negotiate. Going to court is not likely to help.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks how should i negotiate, thru police officer? Police ask me to not contact with her, Police officer gave her a week to get a respary quotes. Can i involve my neighbours to speak with her on my behalf?

Yes, talk to the officer in the case.

If the quote is excessive make that point. If not but you need time to pay then ask for that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok if she didn't get agree wht will happen nxt? Police will.arrest me immediately? Will u plz advice me wht should i do if this thing happen. Thanks

Yes, that could happen.

If they do then I suppose it will have to go to court. There are no ways of preventing that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Police will provide a solicitor to me to defand my case? How long they will keep me in custody? Sorry to bothering u alot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You can use the duty solicitor.

How long you will be kept in depends. I would imagine they would just make an appointment to surrender voluntarily.

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.

Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you