How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10398
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

In England) An elderly mother, due to her age and

This answer was rated:

In England) An elderly mother, due to her age and infirmities, had to be moved into a warden controlled flat. Both she and her son each put up half the purchase money and the flat was registered solely in the mother's name. The son died. Does the son's estate have any claim to the value of the flat?
There are no known deeds of trusts or any pertinent legal documents relating to ownership.

Is it documented that the flat money came half from the son and half from the mother? For example, would the solicitor who acted on the purchase confirm that? Or can the money be shown coming from the son’s bank account?

If that’s the case, and either of those can be shown, then the son or now the son’s estate has a claim for his equitable share of the property in respect of the money that he put in.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you