How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Am I entitled to a refund backdated to when I was 75 years

This answer was rated:

Am I entitled to a refund backdated to when I was 75 years old, from the TV licensing dept?
I am now 79 and was unaware of a free TV licence from that time and Direct Debits have been taken from my bank account up to today's date?

According to the TV Licensing website, you do not automatically get an over 75’s licence unless you apply for it.

There is a specific section on refunds which says “when we process your free over 75 licence application we will also refund any money overpaid (we will let you know if you need to provide any additional information). We will backdate your refund to the first month of your 75th birthday or if you started praying after your 75th birthday we will backdate your refund to that date.

There is normally a two-year time limit when applying for refunds but it says that the two-year time limit does not apply to refund requests for over 75 licenses.

There is another section which is probably clearer, “if you are over 75 you can get a refund for all the months dating back to your 75th birthday.

The website could not be clearer.

What you need to do is apply for an over 75’s licence and the refund will be processed as part of that.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you