How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am owed over 4ooo pounds from a friend who I worked years

This answer was rated:

I am owed over 4ooo pounds from a friend who I worked for some years ago.Despite repeated requests she has not paid me.I wrote to her last at the beginning of June giving her 14 days to respond, I have received no communication. Please advise . Thank you Angela Percox

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

When you say some years ago, how many years please Angela?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
15 years! this is a problem when it is a friend !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has continually had excuses she did start to pay monthly,200, July, 2009,200, August 2009 and100,February 2010.Payments stopped because she said she had not got a job!

When was the last payment? Have they confirmed within the last 6 years that they do owe the debt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Feb 2010, she last put something in writing confirming that she would be setting a direct debit up July 2009, this was never done as she put the 3 cheques through my door. other discussions have all been face to face at my house

Can they confirm the debt is owed now? Will they do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has told me her paper work is in her loft and I have all time sheets my possession

Ok - thats ok then, because under the Limitation Act 1980 you only have 6 years to claim a debt back then it becomes time barred, UNLESS they have admitted the debt in the meantime, which they have here.

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.