How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10257
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have been farming a piece of land since early 1980 and my

Customer Question

i have been farming a piece of land since early 1980 and my father did before that. i pay rent for the land twice yearly on a tenacy but the land is unregistered. can i regerster it in my name
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If you pay rent, then you occupy the land with consent and hence, you cannot have the land registered in your name under the doctrine of adverse possession because your occupation must be adverse. It must be without consent, without objection, and not in secret.

It would be different if you had simply occupied the land, moved onto it and started farming it, if it was unregistered but privately owned, even if you didn’t know the owner whereas, you could have applied to have it registered as yours after 12 years of treating it as your own.

It’s the payment of rent and the consent to be on the land which means you can’t apply to have it registered as yours.


Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive.

It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if needed.

Best wishes.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thankyou for your help. I thought that would be the case but just wanted to be 100% sure .
ThankyouSteve Eddins
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to have assisted you.