How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My unmarried partner claims he wants 50 50 access to our

Customer Question

My unmarried partner claims he wants 50 50 access to our five year old daughter will he get it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Who has her day to day care at the moment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We both do
Still living together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you both work full time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work part time since I had her
My partner works full time
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

So you have been the principal carer until now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The law says that a child is entitled to spend time with both parents and the courts will enforce this of necessary.

However this does NOT mean that the time is shared 50/50 - just that as parents you are both expected to agree a plan that allows the child to spend time with both of you.

As a starting point you should try and discuss matters with your partner using Family Mediation

But if that fails then it is open to either of you to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out what time the child spends with the father.

You can find out more on the website here

I hope that this is of assistance

Please ask if you need further details