How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71129
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

How do i get non-paying tenants out of my home.thanks

This answer was rated:

how do i get non-paying tenants out of my home.thanks

Are they in the house in which you live or a separate accommodation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
separate accommodation, they are renting my house off me

Ok. What type of contract is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a written Contract of Tenancy that all Parties Signed, my rent from the Tenants was due on the 20/06/2016 when that date passed by with non-payment they sent me a Text message stating they are withholding the rent and they will send a letter explaining the reason why....I am still waiting for the Letter

Is it entitled assured shorthold tenancy agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry i forgot to mention the tenancy was for 6 months, which is due to finish on 12/09/2016, we informed them that we will not be renewing the tenancy after this date


So is it entitled AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I typed the letter myself which just states the Tenancy will run for 6 months & finish on 12/09/2016 and that a deposit will be returned subject to no damage/breakages in the property. Does that still apply as they stopped paying rent, which i feel is a breach of the tenancy

Thanks. That is almost certainly void but that just means that they are on a periodic tenancy agreement.

To bring that to an end you need to serve a S21 notice giving them no less than two months notice on or before the rent date.

You should also serve a S8 notice for completion citing non payment of rent. It isn't an AST so it doesn't really matter. This is just an abundance of caution.

If they still don't go then you would have to seek a possession order at court but it would be guaranteed to you as this is a periodic and you can end it at any time with a S21 notice.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you for that, i was told by the CAB that i have to wait for the tenants letter of reply or what action they are taking , before i can sent seek a possession order

That is nonsense.

You just service notice, let it expire and then seek possession.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The CAB informed me that the tenants must be in the property for 4 months before we can serve a section 21 notice or other But again as they have stopped paying rent does this change things thanks

Then they think it is an AST and you said above it was not.

If it is an AST then you can serve a S21 notice at any time but you cannot bring the agreement to an end before September 2016.

You could serve a S8 notice but to be guaranteed possession you would need to wait until they are two months in arrears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok do we have any legal rights to enter our property for inspection as we have not entered it in 3 months,

You do have a right to 'reasonable access' which does include the right to inspect.

You do have to give tenant's notice though and give them the option to choose other dates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou, we only have limited contact with them which is via text, they now say we can only contact them through post but this takes longer and would they even reply ? as we are still waiting for an explanation/reply to Non-Payment of Rent

You can send them texts.

As long as you only send a reasonable number of texts and there is a legitimate reason for them then that is not harassment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is fine and really positive information from You thankyou for all your help. i will now sign off and rate this situation thankyou and Good bye

No problem.

All the best.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you