How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have problem with my ex-landlord. I didn´t get my deposit

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have problem with my ex-landlord. I didn´t get my deposit money back. I left house in good condition but after I moved out landlord asked me to give him 28 days, but after 28 days he started ignoring me. My money are not protected in deposit scheme.
Is there any chance to get my money back?
I wanted to try small money claim but all evidence that I´ve got is my bank statement (firtst payment deposit + 1month rent and then every month rent) and I also have some messages on my pohone where he is promising me that I will get my money back.
Can I win the court? or is my evidence very informal?
Thank you

Hello Lucia my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

From what you have said, yes you will win in Court.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I requested a refund within 10 days 3 times,is it ok? and I said in the letter that I will take him to the court.
but when I was talking to shalter they said that I can lose because I don´t have any tenancy agreement and because my money is not protected in deposit scheme and that my evidence is very informal... Is that true? I don´t want to lose any more money. I had only verbal agreement with my landlord, but he said that is house is legal business and he will protect my money in deposit scheme. But he didn´t....

Yes that is ok. You can then go to Court.

He MUST protect your deposit, it is the law.

But you can sue for the deposit and any outstanding sums back.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I heard that I can claim 3 times my deposit which is 380pounds because he didn´t protect my money in deposit scheme. Is that true?
I really just wanted to make sure that this evidence is enough and that there is chance to get my money back.

That is correct. Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. I tried money claim online. I gave them all the details and I hope that my bank statements and text messages are enough evidence for them. Thank you Lucia

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you