How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been a member of a leisure club (swimming pool, gym)

This answer was rated:

I have been a member of a leisure club (swimming pool, gym) for 22 years. I own a lodge (one of 81) on this complex. This year I (and all the other lodge owners) have been not been allowed to renew their membership because the owner has decided that because we are objecting to the level of the service charge for our properties and are taking him to the LVT we cannot be members of the leisure club.
This leisure club is run as a co-operative, community leisure organisation. Do you have any advice.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What does your membership say about termination please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just a standard 30 day cancellation. I normally pay one year in advance, this runs out in 7 days time and they will not accept my renewal

Is it a rolling contract? Ie do you have to renew annually or does it keep on going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because I make an annual payment I physically go into the club each year and give them a cheque for one year. This year I received an email asking me to renew as an 'early bird offer' but when I went to pay I was informed that it was a computer error and in fact as a lodge owner I would not be allowed to renew.

But it's not a new contract, it just extends the existing one? Does the old one say it can be terminated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is just an extension of previous membership. The only paperwork issued is the credit card receipt (or cheque receipt) and a plastic membership card. It is very informal.

Ok. Then they can't refuse. Is the centre publically funded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No he owns the business but it is under the umbrella of a Community Leisure and the organisation is a member of UK -Co/Ops

Ok. It's bad news I am afraid. As long as he is not turning it down on the basis of race, sex, colour, age, religion etc.

As it's not a government body, they are s private business, he can do what he wants.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you