How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My son has just exchanged contracts on s first home. This

Customer Question

My son has just exchanged contracts on his first home. This was a new build property and 2 month's prior the agent at the site informed my son that they would sell him the furniture in the property and that the price would be between £2,000 and £5,000. This was the show house and was furnished throughout. He was told that the ad office had to decide the actual amount. My son contacted the agent on numerous occasions to be told that it was being dealt with. After exchange he was told that they would not now sell the items and that the sales director who had agreed the sale had now left the company. What is his legal position?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was nothing in writing but there is an excellent mail from the agent stating she was chasing her boss up for the sale price
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear this was all verbal? Did anyone else witness the conversation?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Both myself and Gary mother witnessed this on 2 separate occasions
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

It's legally binding. You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the cost of furniture within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He hasn't paid anything for the furniture. He wants them to stick to the qgreement to sell the furniture t him
Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

Yes I understand that. He would need to claim for that cost of furniture or seek a court order making them sell it.

Does that clarify? Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 2 years ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: