How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask propertylawyer Your Own Question
propertylawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 288
Experience:  Property Solicitor with expertise in commercial and residential property transactions.
Type Your Law Question Here...
propertylawyer is online now

I bought some flats in 2004. They were converted to flats in

This answer was rated:

JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I bought some flats in 2004. They were converted to flats in the mid-1990's by the freeholder. Right now, I am trying to sell one of the flats and the question has been raised whether the conversions were done with planning permission. the conversion was done prior to my purchase and I don't have any documentation that says there was planning permission at that time. Where do I stand? Aren't the flats legal now after all this time?
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.


Thanks for your question. I hope I can assist you.

The planning department of the local authority will hold records of all planning documentation relating to the property.

Any enforcement action for lack of planning must be brought within 10 years of the breach. If there is no planning permission then the planning department is now time barred from bringing enforcement action. The conversion would have needed building regulations approval too.

The simplest / cheapest way to deal with this now is by way of indemnity insurance. Your solicitor can obtain lack of planning / building regulations approval indemnity insurance. You pay a one off premium. This does not make the conversion 'legal' but 99 times out of 100 it is acceptable to a prospective buyer.make sure the indemnity insurance covers mortgagees so that a buyer's lender is covered.

This should allow your sale to proceed.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if I can assist further. Please come back to me if you have any further questions or queries in relation to my reply.

Kind regards


propertylawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you