How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

What can or should I do if I am being falsely accused of

This answer was rated:

What can or should I do if I am being falsely accused of hacking into a neighbour's computer and smartphone and stealing his files and personal information

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have lived in our current home for two years and, until 6 months ago, we seemed to be on reasonable terms with our neighbour. One day he said "I am not talking to you. I do not like you. You have hacked into my computer and stolen my files and photographs". I strongly denied any such act as I would not know how to hack into someones computer and I would not want to anyway. I only use my computer for basic activities - email, word and excel, and google.Since that time he has repeatedly accused me of hacking and will not accept my categorical denial. He refers to me as a criminal and uses this term when he discusses my hacking with his other neighbours. I have asked him where is his proof of such action but he ignores this and says "I know you have hacked into my computer". I have asked him how could I have hacked into his computer -why me when it could be anyone or any organisation and he answered "You used Bluetooth". Again I denied this as I have never even used Bluetooth in my life.I should mention that he has also accused my wife of hacking even though she, like me, only uses the computer for basics.
We are both in our mid-seventies and we came to this village for a quiet retirement but this constant bickering on such a serious matter is making us feel ill and we are thinking of moving away. Obviously, we are aware that our neighbours accusations could be regarded as a Neighbour Dispute and this could affect our ability to sell our property.

Have solicitors been involved or the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, because we do not want to jeopardise our potential house sale and we are not sure what the police could or would do.

Ok - then I really would not be concerned.
If you wanted to take this person to Court it would have to be High Court proceedings.

But unless the Police are involved then save for getting a Solicitor to write a letter and ask to stop, there is sadly nothing you can really do

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you