How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11865
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

I have a French Passport (Born France) and have worked in

Customer Question

I have a French Passport (Born France) and have worked in the UK without interruption since 1978 (DOB 16/01/1954) - I have never requested a permanent residence permit based on EU legislation. In view of the results of referendum I would like to request a British Passport. Can I go straight to this request or do I have to request a permanent residence permit as a first stage ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.


You will be able to apply for naturalisation directly, however, as part of your application, you will need to show how you have met the requirements. This would mean that you would have to prove that you have been living in the UK for at least the last 5 years and exercising treaty rights. Therefore, the documents you would normally submit for the PR application, should be submitted as part of the naturalisation application.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,