How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10972
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I need your advice We asked a firm to lift old block paving

This answer was rated:

I need your advice
We asked a firm to lift old block paving and renew area with patterned concrete. We were quoted £2500 and at the time he tried to sell us 2 new manhole covers. There was nothing wrong with the old ones so we said no, just to take old blocks out and renew with concrete.
We paid £1200 deposit when old blocks were lifted then £800 for the concrete, leaving a balance of £500 to be paid on completion of job and to our satisfaction
We arrived home off holiday to find concrete laid and to our disbelief concrete covering the manholes. We phoned them immediately they said there was no electricity supply but they didn't mention anything about power before we left for holiday now they would use a grinder to cut round them. Surprizingly they would not lift out and they are sayiny its because of years of sand & grit but thses manhole covers were lifted 18 mths a go as we had extensions built.
they are still adamantnot to blame and theyre not responsible. I concede it was sand but even one of their employees admitted they did not have the right keys to lift the manhole cover and they should have been lifted before concrete was laid.
They have been on phone demanding £500 and it looks like theyre leaving job incomplete and a hole and with a threatening and abusive manner he is coming on monday to get is money. And saying it is his concrete until we pay balance.
What do we do

1. Dear Jean, what you should do here is to get yourself a solicitor and get the solicitor to formally write to the builder and inform him that you will seek a mandatory injunction getting them to rectify the botched job they made of the manhole covers if they don't immediately carry out the remedial works. Essentially, you are going to have problems when rain comes or you flush your toilet and these manholes become blocked. Then you will have no way of remedying any problems arising. So, before the builder disappears on you, you need to get the problem rectified. You should employ a solicitor because this builder needs to know you mean business. I fear if you deal with the builder on your own, he will ride roughshod over you, as this is what he has done so far.

2. Ultimately, if the builder does not rectify the works, you can then go to court to force him to do them, or else, hire a different builder to unblock the manhole covers and keep the £500 due to this builder. However, be aware that a different builder might not be able to rectify it as well as the man who did the work. So you should first put pressure on this builder to do the work.

3. Be aware that if you do go to court, you will get an injunction of this nature for the asking. No judge will leave you with your manholes blocked. This is an absolute botched job. So the quicker you get it rectified or else go to court, the better.

4. Please Rate the answer as unless you rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

5. Another Expert will provide the Live Phone Call Service, as this Expert does not provide this service. However, please Rate the answer you have received, as otherwise, this Expert does not get paid for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you