How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

5 adults tried to rent a property together. The agency asked

Customer Question

5 adults tried to rent a property together. The agency asked the holding deposit to be transferred online and we did not see or sign any documents before. After 5 days all of us received an email with a holding deposit receipt and a tenancy agreement which could have been signed online. The documents were cancelled by them in half an hour and none of us signed. When I rang the office I had some questions about the holding deposit and the tenancy agreement but they said I should not worry because it was a computer mistake and they will send the documents again. After 11 days we received all the documents together and they said we have the property and we need to sign everything asap.
One single person signed and after she signed they cancelled the documents again and they said we failed the references and we lost the property.
The agency is now refusing to give us the deposit back because is was signed by one person.
Is this legal or we should make a complain?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The money Were sent from 2 accounts, mine and my brother. I should make the claim on my name with the amount that I sent or the full amount?