How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have retracted a statement, given against my son, because

Customer Question

I have retracted a statement, given against my son, because he fought with my husband and did some damage in the house, while under the influence of drugs, we don't want to go ahead, but the police do, and the court has summoned us. What do I say in court? I don't want my son to be sentenced, as he will lose his job and go further downhill, he is now following drug treatment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can't retract your statement as you would run the risk of being prosecuted yourself for wasting police time. At the same time you can't not tell the truth in the witness box or you will be prosecuted for perjury. Your best course of action is to tell the truth in court but to tell the court about your son's difficulties and what is being done to sort them. As this incident was within the family the court is likely to dispose of the case in a sympathetic way which will allow your son to keep his job.