How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Is this “preaching hate” and/or age discrimination? What can

Customer Question

Is this “preaching hate” and/or age discrimination?
What can I do to rebut it?
The Times June 25th carried a defamatory and hate filled article on P28 by Giles Coren headed
"Wrinkles have well and truly stitched us up"
Sub headings "Older people care less and less what happens to us"
Quote "The wrinkly bastards stitched us young 'uns good and proper on Thursday. From their stairlifts and their zimmer frames, their electric recliner beds and their walk in baths they reached out with their wizened old writing hands to make their wobbly crosses..”
“They just enjoyed high unemployment good pay, fat benefits, enormous pension privileges,…”
“..we will be compelled to make our strength of feeling felt in smaller subtler ways”
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is making older people a traget for hate and sicrimination.
I want him to stop
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

There is no crime for hate against older folk. There is for rave crimes but not to do with age.

This means what he is saying is not illegal. But what you can do is a number of things.

You can write and complain to the newspaper editor about the term and content of the article. If the editor does not uphold your complaint then you can go to the Independent Press Standads.

They are an Independent service and can investigate your complaint for free. Their website is

You could consider an action for defamation but it would be in the high court and very expensive.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?