How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We live in a development where we have a managing agent plus

This answer was rated:

We live in a development where we have a managing agent plus four directors who represent the seventy five residents who have individual shares of the freehold.
We live on the top floor (3rd floor) and a lift modernisation program, that was scheduled for five weeks, is now entering week sixteen!
I am a sixty six year old woman who suffers with arthritis and asthma. Disputes numerous promises of completion dates and repeated correspondence regarding the situation we continue to struggle with the everyday problems not having a lift is causing. We now have no knowledge of why and when the completion date will be.
Are we able to take legal action against either our freehold company or our managing agents?

You could take action if either of them are in breach of contact or have in any way been negligent. However my concern would be that court action would take longer than the contract even if there have been delays. Have your solicitor contact them and find out exactly what the issue is and when it will be resolved. Your solicitor can threaten a case for damages for inconvenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. Can I use the Disability Act (2015) or the Equality Act (2010) to support my need for a functioning lift?

Yes you can, on the basis that you need a lift and thus are being treated less favourably than someone who does not have a disability.

JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you