How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can a Head Teacher (UK) discipline my child even though I

This answer was rated:

Can a Head Teacher (UK) discipline my child even though I have given instructions for this not to be carried out as the matter in question wasn't resolved; I wrote to the governing body, they replied and I sent a further letter; at the same time I also instructed the Head Teacher that I didn't give my permission for detention to happen. The Head Teacher decided to be a bully and gave my child a detention. She told him he should contact me but he said he would email me after and threatened that if she walked out he would prevent her from doing work experience the following week. He also told her that he could do whatever he wanted and that parents can be fined and ended with "I can finally sleep well knowing that justice has been served".

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially I wanted to resolve the questions I raised in my complaint to the head and then the Governing Body, however the head has seen fit to carry out a ‘punishment’ regardless of my wishes so I would like to know if he has the legal authority to do this without my consent and is he allowed to threaten my child and essentially falsely imprison her by doing so or do I actually have some legal rights and can use the law against his bullying behaviour to prevent such cases in the future?

Is the school public funded?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a state school run by the local authority.

Ok. Then you can complain to the local authority. They can consider your complaint and report back to you.

If that does not work then you can complain to the local government ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint for free at

But follow this process and it should resolve the matter.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can he legally punish my child without my consent and do I have any legal recourse?

yes you can sue and claim damages. But any claim would be less than £50,000 in damages.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for the delayed response, a slow internet connection kept throwing me out. So can he legally punish my child without my consent? Also what type of solicitor do I need....a family one or is there a specific type of solicitor that deals with schools/education? Thanks Tina

Yes this is Education law. You can find a local Solicitor here:

Does that clarify? Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks Alex. Regards Tina

All the best Tina. Alex