How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Without my knowledge or permission someone has erected a

This answer was rated:

Without my knowledge or permission someone has erected a wooden building on my land and is using it to undertake a business as a tearoom.
What can I do to have them and their building removed?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have you asked them why they have put it up please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The property includes a number of commercial units some of which have tenants. The tresspassers property has been erected adjacent to one of the tenants. He has approached them to tell them it is not their property but he says they are conuanced that it is. They have also cut down trees and shrubbery in the area.

Ok. You need to get s solicitor to write and ask them to move, or say you will go to court. If they do not vacate then you need to issue proceedings.

You would need to issue proceedings using form n1

The court will list the matter for a hearing and decide whether to give possession. As they have no right to be there I am confident a judge will.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appointing a solicitor and going to court sounds a costly business. Is there any alternative?. Should the police take action? Is there a template for a notice I can serve on the trespassers to warn them off?

No the police won't do anything, this is a civil matter. If you google notice to quit you should find a template

Does that help? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me an idea of the costs involved in appointing a solicitor and going to court?

Court fee is £280 to hear it.

If a matter is not contested about £1000 but contested around £5000.

But if you win you can ask for costs.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems most unfair that I could be liable for such costs through no fault of my own. What happens if I am awarded costs but the tresspassers are unwilling or unable to pay?
And what happens if, despite a court decision in my favour, the trespassers continue, or return some time in the future?

sadly you have a paper judgment. But they may have assets or you could make them bankrupt.

If they continue then you can get bailiffs to evict.

Does that clairfy? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK finally can you give me a rough idea of the cost of a solicitors warning letter prior to going to court. And would you advise that I precede that with a more exploratory letter from myself to check whether there is some misunderstanding over land ownership but ending with a firm intention of taking legal action, if necessary?

probably £250 for a sol koror letter. Yes try from yourself first and then if that does not work try a solicitors letter.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. At your suggestion I have Googled Notice to Quit but what comes up are notices specifically for Landlords wanting to evict tenants but not appropriate for trespassers. Do you have anything more specific to my case?

You just need to Write and say, you don't have a right to be here. You don't have permission., please leave within 7 days or I will seek a court order. That is it. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks for your advice. That's all that I need for now. Will I be able to continue to access the advice you have provided or can I save it in some way?

Sure, your Question is saved. If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you