How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10954
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I am a British citizen by birth; I am 70 years old. I have

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen by birth; I am 70 years old. I have lived in France for sixteen years with my French partner, we have been together for 30 years and we have a daughter who is 15 years old. Can I get a British passport for my daughter? My daughter has my surname on her French birth certificate and she already has a French passport. What should I do to claim dual Nationality for her. If I take on French nationality will that effect my British nationality?
I thank you in anticipation that you can answer my questions.
Yours sincerely
John McCartney

1. Dear *****, the first thing to be aware is that both British and French law allow a person to have dual nationality. So, it is lawful under both French and British law to hold both French nationality and British nationality at the same time. So you cna hold both passports simultaneously. Additionally, it will not prejudice you or your daughter if you acquire French citizenship as well as having British citizenship. She can still apply for British citizenship by descent based on your British nationality.

2. Your daughter can apply for British citizenship by descent based upon you, her father, being a British national. Her eis a link to the page on the UK Government website which explains the situation and it also contains a link to the form you have to fill in to claim British citizenship for her

3. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.

Buachaill and other Law Specialists are ready to help you