How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

Separated 16yrs,not divorced am I still next of kin? No1 son

This answer was rated:

Separated 16yrs,not divorced am I still next of kin? No1 son is thinking of getting wife to appoint him power of attorney in case of sickness.

Do you mean that your son is suggesting that your estranged wife should give him power of attorney over her affairs?

Are you okay with that?

What exactly is it that you want to know about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not happy that it could be precedent to advising her to go into care which w ould selling the house .!she is very easily turned by him. He is also her executor .possible conflict of interest!

She is entitled to appoint whoever she likes to have power of attorney over her affairs and if you think that he is not acting in her best interest, you can object to the Court of Protection/Office of the Public Guardian. To have him removed the if the power has not yet been granted, object to it being granted.

It would be worthwhile telling him that if he does apply, you will file an objection. Here is the process.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you