How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10401
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

We need to get my father in law to sign a document. He is

This answer was rated:

We need to get my father in law to sign a document. He is now physically unable to give a signature we have been told a mark will be sufficient. What constitutes a mark?

Does your Father-in-law still have control of all his mental faculties and will his medical practitioner confirm that?

A mark is literally what it says. If he just holds the pen and moves it on the page, that is sufficient.

Whether it’s sufficient for whoever wants the document is another matter altogether. It would be sufficient for a Lasting Power of Attorney application although the circumstances surrounding the signature may need verification for a solicitor and in that respect, if your father-in-law is required to sign something, it would be better signed in front of a medical professional or a solicitor.

You can only do this however if your father-in-law knows exactly what he is signing and the effect of it. It only applies to physical infirmity.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails if you wish.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** fully in control of mental facilities just not physically able. He has today made a very poor attempt at his signature and made a made small X next to it, would this then be sufficient for the LPA form.