How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ukfamilysolicitor Your Own Question
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1385
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
Type Your Law Question Here...
ukfamilysolicitor is online now

My opponent was to exchange witness statements by order on

This answer was rated:

my opponent was to exchange witness statements by order on 23/5/16 but only served it 2 days ago. In his witness statement he mentioned that he asked for an extension and was given 4 week extn. I have not been informed by the court and I have written to the court to inquire if this is true and to inform the court of what the defendant has stated. I want to use a CPR request to ask him to disclose the letter permitting him to exchange witness statement 4 weeks after it was ordered. Can i do this?


Welcome to Just Answer

I am a Solicitor and will assist you.

You do not need to use the CPR to find out if the extension was granted. You are entitled to this information from the court.

I would suggest that you call the court directly. Explain that you want them to check if a request for an extension was sent to the court and if an order was made by the court granting such extension. Ask for a copy of both to be sent to you.

Kind Regards


ukfamilysolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the paying party in a costs assessment and the other party put in a bill which included disbursement of £800 to obtain a documents from a Nigerian court. I made inquiries and sicovered it costs less than £20. I wrote to the receiving party to request evidence of how this bill came about but got nothing. On the eve of the hearing, before a costs officer the other party sent me a witness statement to the effect that he paid a lawyer in Nigeria which if he had disclosed would not have necessitated a hearing. The costs officer awarded him the costs but did not order costs of the day's hearing against me. In short, while he filed the correct evidence in court, he did not serve me. I am still within 21 days if I want to appeal. I have not seen a fee note nor had sight of what he filed with the court. Is it right and can I appeal. To attend on the day cost me £750 in lost earnings and travel to London from Nottingham Qn: do CPR disclosures not apply to a detailed assessment hearing? Can I appeal?


In respect of your next question I would repose this in the forum so that one of my colleagues can answer this for you.

I am a litigator in Family Law - so whilst your first question was within my remit - I think one of my colleagues would be best placed to answer your next question.

Kindest Regards