How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

How to claim my deposit back on rent when the private

This answer was rated:

Dear Sir or Madam,
How to claim my deposit back on rent when the private kandlord witheld my signed copy of letting agreement and his business is illegal because he doesn t have any form of deposit scheme which is legally obligatory in the UK. I am not even sure whether it was legally classified share house ( there were no fire alarms in rooms etc.) I have 2 witnesses who lived in other rooms as my neighbours at this time.
Many Thanks for Your early reply.
Yours faithfully,
Marketa Filipova
tel.: ***********

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is owing please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
163; 340,-

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Indeed if your deposit was NOT protected you are entitled to claim x3 the deposit back as permitted by law.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your professional help!! Can i report him as well for his illegal business? He owes me deposit since September last year. He even discriminates in the way he doesn t give me key of the bedroom as others. However, problem is he witheld my letting agreement which was signed! But i ve copy on my tablet. I have witnesses who lived in the same property with me.

Yes you can report him to the Council as well.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean Borough Council? And a year gap isn t a problem to claim money back?

A year is fine, you have 6 years. Your local Council yes.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His behavior was very obusive and antisocial when i was leaving. Can i report that as well? But u didn t still answer about contract, i signed it and he doesn t want to give me my copy back with terms&regulations.

Yes you can report this as well. There is no law about giving you a copy back, but you can request this and they must provide it within 40 days.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn t trust this website but the answers are beyond my expectations! an i report in my losses psychological abuse as well or is it another category of law?? He wanted to call the police and deported me from the house without reason i paid rent regularly. Can i claim the signed copy in the letter and by law he must give me within 40 days?

You wont get a claim for that sort of abuse. You want to claim back your deposit and x3 which is what you are entitled to.

You can ask for a copy of the agreement and yes this must be provided within 40 days.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It means £ 340 x 3 ?? I ve to write a polite letter to landlord to claim my signed copy and claim for money at the same time??


Does that help? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which article of law i can cite?

Housing Act 2004.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is our time limit for online appointment, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the copy of your responses on my email, pls?

Once you rate my answer you can come back to the question at any time.

But its one question per thread, so I can clarify issues related to this question only,.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have any real office not just online? And how much does the appointment cost face2face?

No, this is a question and answer site. The company is based in the USA although I and others are UK Solicitors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he denies that i signed contract and doesn t want to give me? He has my signed copy for sure!! But he doesn t want to give me back copy with his signature as landlord and mine like tenant!

But it doesn't matter - you can take him to Court for x3 the deposit as we have previously discussed.


Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
However, he can deny i ve ever lived at his property! But i have witnesses i really lived! And even i got a post at this address with my name.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To prove he received my deposit, he just signed a sheet of paper by hand but no confirmation by e-mail by deposit scheme.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i have to rate you now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for excellent service! Bye.