How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am going through a divorce, in March we got the decree

This answer was rated:

Good Evening, I am going through a divorce, in March we got the decree nisi through, we live on a small holding and had previously separated some land as my livelihood (Running an engineering company) depended on my workshop, and I feel it is late in life to start over again and having a serious accident last March and being hospitalised for 6 months I fear that I will loose my livelihood.
I have had to subpoena her to court as my solicitors have had no response since late March this year.
My question is! Can I give the judge a letter of appeal which will state that I will give her 50% of any equity, leaving me at the marital home to continue my business which also has employees. Kind regards

Hi, thank you for your question. Are there financial relief proceedings in place, and if so at what stage are they at and what is the next hearing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are due to go for the first hearing mid September. So far she has refused to get a valuation on the house and will not provide any pension details.

Thank you for confirming. As part of the proceedings she will need to provide her pension details and the court can make an order for the home to be valued independently.

In the meantime you can put forward any offer to her to settle, however the court will unlikely make a decision at the first hearing regarding this as for court purposes there has to be full disclosure before the judge can decide a settlement. You should take advice about putting forward any offers as this should not happen if you are unclear of her full financial position.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you