How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have been waiting 18 months contractor to respond to my

This answer was rated:

I have been waiting 18 months for a contractor to respond to my refusal to pay owing to their non performance. Does the
Passage of time indicate tacit agreement by them in the eyes of the

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

For now please let me know how much is owing please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Around £9k. Their
Late delivery and installation of doors and windows resulted in significantly increased project costs including employing someone to ensure our property was secure at night. Note that the total supply and installation costs were around £130k

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I regard my non payment of £9k as compensation. After 18 months they are disputing my non payment. My question related to their lack of response for 18 months which I have regarded as agreement on their part. So, am I within my legal rights to withhold payment?


Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you