How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I hold a power of attorney friend to look after s property,

Customer Question

I hold a power of attorney for a friend to look after his property, carry out serious state of disrepair and put it on the market for letting. I also had the power to borrow money, secured on his property to carry out the repairs. But no lender was willing to help him because of his criminal records. He was financially broke, unable to keep up with his monthly mortgage repayment and above all serving an eleven year sentence for serious sexual crimes. He begged me to help him out financially and that I would get my money back once the property is rented ( documentary evidence available). The property itself was unfurnished and looked like neglected over the years. It was banned for letting by Haringey council because of serious Health and Safety issues. The owner was also fined £1000 for an acute rat infestation at the property.
The £10,000 Barclays loan I took was not as near enough to rent the property. There were still no bathing or cooking facilities and unable to put any more funding.
Having the power of attorney I have decided to occupy the property, given its squalid condition because by now I could not manage my own rent(owner was made aware)
Now the owner is out of prison having someone else backing him financially to carry out the repairs. I want him to pay me back my money so that I can get a deposit to move to a rented property. Now he says that I am his tenant, even in the absence of a tenancy agreement and refused to pay me back my money invested in his property
He is sending his builder in this Friday and informed me that I would be denied toilet and cooking facilities, given that I have three pets to look after. Being an occupant at the property is it not mandatory that the owner rehouse me for that three weeks duration and not violating my human rights.
Please advise me how to get my money back and stop any kind of repairs being undertaken while I am still occupying the property.
The owner of the house is indefinitely banned in accessing any part of Haringey and only communicate with me through text messages. I am a woman living alone and given the nature of his crimes I feel very fearful, depressed and immensely stressed and specially when some builder, unknown is spending three weeks at the property alone with me.
Please I desperately need help, advice and support as I feel acutely suicidal and fear of being homeless and losing my pets
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am desperate for a positive answer and willing to wait a little longer, please do your utmost best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid for this service yesterday and now doubts is beginning to creep in. Now you are asking for more money to talk to a solicitor. amazing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will continue to wait and hope I am not going to be disappointed
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please? How much is owing?