How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49806
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I brought a drive auto disabled scooter ,955 pounds cash.

This answer was rated:

I brought a drive auto disabled scooter for 1,955 pounds cash. However I have found it to be totally inadequate for my needs but the shop refuses to refund me cash only goods. The internet advert says you can return within 30 days if found to be inadequate for needs. How do I stand please.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long ago did you buy it? Also, does it have a warranty?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I brought it on 8 /6/16 and it has a years warrenty

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I look forward to hearing your advice.

Many thanks for your patience. Your rights will depend on whether you bought the item online in store.

Assuming you bought it online as you mentioned an internet advert, a consumer’s rights in this situation are mainly determined by the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. These Regulations apply to contracts for sales conducted on the trader’s business premises, off the trader’s premises (e.g. at the consumer’s home) and at a distance (e.g. online).

In terms of cancellation rights, these only apply to off-premises and distance contracts, subject to some limited exceptions (such as personalised goods). The statutory cancellation periods are as follows:

· Goods – 14 days after the day the goods came into the physical possession of the consumer, unless the contract gives you longer cancellation rights, in which case these would apply

If the consumer decides to exercise their right to cancel the contract, then each party will have separate liabilities:

· Consumer – must return the goods no later than 14 days from the date of notification of cancellation, unless the trader has agreed to collect them; pay the delivery costs unless the trader did not advise them that they would be liable for this at the time the contract was concluded.

· Trader – must reimburse all payments (except delivery charges in excess of the minimum/cheapest delivery costs) within 14 days

In addition, you will have rights under separate legislation because when a consumer makes a purchase from a business seller, they will have certain 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The law states that the goods must be:

· of satisfactory quality – they must not be faulty or damaged when you receive them;

· as described – they must match any description given to you at the time of purchase; and

· fit for purpose – they should be fit for the purpose they are supplied for,

If they do not match the above requirements, you will have certain legal remedies against the seller. Your rights will not be against the manufacturer as they will only be responsible if there was a manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee with the goods. Also note that there is no protection against fair wear and tear, misuse or accidental damage, faults that were pointed out at the time of sale or if you change your mind and no longer want the goods.

If the goods do not meet the criteria mentioned above, you will have the following rights:

1. Reject them and request a refund - this is only possible if the rejection occurs within 30 days of purchase.

2. Ask for a repair or replacement – if you are too late to reject the goods or do not wish to get a refund straight away, you can ask the seller for a repair or replacement. If a repair has been arranged but has failed, or if a repair or replacement are not possible, you are still entitled to ask for a refund, or a price reduction. Alternatively you could get a second repair or replacement at no extra cost to you. However, the retailer can refuse if they can show that your choice is disproportionately expensive compared to the alternative.

As there is still time to reject the goods and request a refund, you may do so. You can quote the applicable rights you have under the Consumer Rights Act as mentioned above. If they appear reluctant to assist, write to them one more time, warn them that they have 7 days to comply and inform them that if they fail to meet their legal obligations, you will have no choice but to report them to Trading Standards and start legal proceedings to seek compensation for your losses.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you should follow if they refuse to refund you, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to the person to buy the scooter.

Ok thanks. If you bought the item in store then you would not be covered by the laws allowing cancellations within 14 days of purchase. However, you are still covered under the Consumer Rights Act which gives you rights in the event that the item is not fit for purpose. This right needs to be exercised within 30 days of the date pf purchase to get a refund. If they refuse to accept the item back then you can seek compensation for the value of the scooter or use these steps to try and force them to change their mind.

Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

you are welcome

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Y daughter has contacted the shop and he said there sin,t a law that he has to return the money. When told I had consulted a solicitor he said to get you to write him a letter. I have sent a recorded letter to him today to remind him to resolve the issue. I have also requested a call back. Thankyou

There certainly are laws which would require him to act, whether to refund the money or to provide a repair/replacement and these are as discussed earlier. The fact that he refuses to accept that does not change your rights, it just means it will have to be pursued formally, such as through the small claims court. Sadly we cannot write a letter to him as our service is limited to this site but you have the necessary steps to take it further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be grateful for further advice please. Would it be worth seeing another solicitor that could write him a letter ,this might be enough to get him to reconsider.

You are entirely free to get another solicitor to write the letter if you think that this may persuade him to reconsider his position. But legally it would not force him to do anything, it may just show that you are taking this more seriously and that a legal person is now involved. But a solicitor cannot do much more than just convey your legal position and threaten what will happen next. The risk is that you spend the money on that assistance and the seller changes nothing in their approach