How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JG_Legal Your Own Question
JG_Legal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 47
Experience:  Experience of consumer law, financial regulation and criminal law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JG_Legal is online now

My husband foolishly purchased 2 tickets last August (2015)

This answer was rated:

My husband foolishly purchased 2 tickets last August (2015) for an Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht, Netherland on the internet through a company called Onlineticketshop. He paid 698 euros for the 2 tickets but when they arrived this week (the concert is the weekend of the 8th July) the face value of the tickets is 95 euros each. When questioned the company stated that they paid more than the face value of the tickets and therefore that cost was passed onto us. Unfortunately, the website my husband used was in Dutch (but they are now communicating in English). Is there anything we can do to retrieve the gross overpayment?

I am a barrister. I used to work for the Financial Ombudsman Service. I can help with this.

Did you make the purchase using a credit or debit card?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was a credit card.

That's good. This means you can make a claim against your credit card provider just as if it was the supplier i.e. the ticket company. Your credit card company might try and say you need to first go through a claim procedure with the supplier - this is not true.

In relation to the substantive claim, without seeing the documents, I cannot advise whether there has been a breach of contract or not. I would say, initially, the over charge, is in itself not grounds which I would consider hugely valid.

However, what I recommend you do is contact your credit card company, if they do not refund. Refer the case to the Financial Ombudsman Service. It is free and your case comes within their jurisdiction. If they assess your claim as valid, they will order the credit card company to make a refund.

If this answers your question please press accept, if you require further clarification please ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Accept and thank you.

Can you press the accept button please, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find an accept button.

Thank you

JG_Legal and other Law Specialists are ready to help you