How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Received a bill from a debt recovery agency unpaid to

This answer was rated:

Received a bill for 4500 from a debt recovery agency for money unpaid to British Gas. This is a rented property and we have provided most of the tenants details to them via our letting agent. However we as owners of the property have been unable to provide a copy of a tenancy agreement for 2008 to 2011 (pre-letting agent) and have been advised that we would be liable for the amount due over this period even though we couple provide bank statements showing the rent being paid in every month - is this correct?

Why can't you show a copy of the agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just can't find it was such a long time ago and have a letting agent now and didn't think we would ever need it!

That is a problem I'm afraid.

There is always a hierarchy of liable persons with utilities bills and the owner of the property is at the top. They will pursue another person if you can produce a tenancy agreement but you cannot here.

Therefore you are likely to be considered the liable person.

You could recover by trying to sue the tenant if they can be found. Obviously you can only do that if your agreement was that they would pay.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not what I wanted to hear but at least now where we stand. I assume now we are entitled to know how they have reached this figure and can expect a detailed breakdown and would only be liable for the period where we can't provide a tenancy agreement?

Yes, absolutely.

You are entitled to know how this was accrued.

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you