How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I am a building contractor who is owed £35k by the developer

This answer was rated:

I am a building contractor who is owed £35k by the developer but he hasn't got the cash as the properties haven't sold p, can l put a legal charge on one of the houses to secure the debt ? If so how do l go about it

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you get Judgment in default please?
How much is owing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No l haven't got a Judgment in default, l am a small business and can't pay expensive legal fees, l am owed £35k since March 2016 and this is putting my business at serious risk - l want to make sure that if their business fails l have some security, your advice as to a way forward would be appreciated

Ok - then yes I would apply for a charging order on ALL the properties.

Sadly it will cost you £100 per application.

This is the form you need:

The Court will grant this ex-parte so you can then apply to the Land Registry to secure it.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Approximately long would this prosess take ?

To get an interim charge, normally only a week or so, depending on how busy the Court is.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that's a great help.

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance! Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alex, as l am not sure as to how many property's are still unsold how can l put a charge on ALL the properties ? Could l just do it under their company name KMRE (Brierley ) Ltd or ?
Also would it be best for me to go to the courts in Leeds to submit the form ?

You need to make an application for each one. They need to be in the name of the defendant you sued. Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alex, how do l find out which property's are not sold to enable me to put a Charge on ALL the property's ?
Also how do l find out the land registry numbers for the property's ?Regards

That is where you search. If it shows the debtor on the deeds then it has not been sold.

Does that clarify?
Please remember to rate so the site credits me for the time spent with you - thanks.