How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We are a small charity in bury that is being slandered by

This answer was rated:

We are a small charity in bury that is being slandered by another community group that we were formerly affiliated with. They are making accusations that we have stolen funds for our own benefit. This is totally untrue and yet this has been going on now for 6 months. Even the council has asked them to either prove this or cease yet it continues. We are very worried about this as we work with young vulnerable people and we think that this can damage our sustainability. What can we do on a very limited budget ?


The reality is that if you Are not able to fund the action then it is not available to you.

This is a defamation and you do have that action open to you. It is a very expensive action though.

You could always get a solicitor or a barrister under public access to write to them a cease-and-desist letter and often that works. That would cost about £100 plus VAT. It has no legal status of itself but it is often very effective.

Failing that, your only option is to sue

I would suggest that you consider an action in harassment which is cheaper but if they are complaining about an organisation rather than individual that is not really easy to do.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you