How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have inherited a 1/4 share of a deceased person's estate -

Customer Question

I have inherited a 1/4 share of a deceased person's estate - which includes a house - with the other 3/4s going to his daughter who lives in Australia. The solicitor who is the executor has put the house on the market without consulting either me or the daughter. Can he do this? (We both believe it iis being put on sale for less than its true value.)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

The executor doesn't have to consult with the beneficiaries about this. However he is bound to try to achieve the best price for the property and if he doesn't the beneficiaries would have a claim for any losses. You should perhaps take advice on what the correct asking price should be. Happy to discuss. Pleas leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.