How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

In Nov. 2015 I reported damp in my outside toilet which had

This answer was rated:

In Nov. 2015 I reported damp in my outside toilet which had penetrated my kitchen (wall attaching to the outside toilet and had blown a small patch of plaster). My insurance company appointed a sub-contractor to oversea the claim. They sent out a sub-sub-contractor who said it could be a leak but would have to investigate with a camera in the drains - I asked if it could be my damp proof course failing - he looked at my bricks! and said they were sound and that it would be a process of elimination - no crack sshowed in the drains. 7 months later, with no further investigations taking place, I have had two sub-contractors and 4 sub-sub-contractors involved in this claim. At present, the tiles on my kitchen floor have been taken up; the plaster (1 metre high) hacked off my walls and I have had two industrial dehumidiifers and three fans going constantly 24/7 for a month - only to discover that the initial report sent to the sub-contractor in Dec 2015 suggested it could be my DPC and a subsequent report by another sub-subcontractor also suggested a leak detection service to be carried out were ignored by the sub-contractor for 7 mths! In June, I insisted a DPC specialist to test the DPC, they found out there is no DPC in the extension (which existed when I moved in). They will n ot pay for the DPC which is fine as I know that I am responsible for it and would have had it done last Nov! They did not give me the results of the test (their lack of communication has been abysmal), I found out last Weds when another sub-sub-contractor was to come to test the humidify in the walls (this was done every week since the dehumidifiers went in) but didn't arrive. I rang to find out why and was told I had to sort out the DPC first that the dehumidifiers would never dry out the walls! Eventually, they admitted they were culpable of negligence and that the dehumidifiers should not have been put in in the first place as they never would have dried the walls with no DPC in place. I had repeatedly asked if it was my DPC and was ignored. They have now offered me compensation of £280 (£10 per day for each day of the 'strip out' - i.e. since the dehumidifiers were installed. I find this insulting considering the stress of living in dust and dirt for 4 weeks, both management companies (sub-contractors) never have the correct notes; one never communicated with me the other would call me with updates (since April when they were appointed) that were two weeks out of date - and I would have to update them - it became too stressful in the end and I told me not to call me again without reading their notes beforehand; I paid £180 for my dog to be taken care of for the month. Every sub-subcontractor who came to my house had, as they said, 'sketchy instructions' and all thought it was to do with my bathroom in my house! I am living in a small patch of my livingroom as the contents, Fridge and cupboard contents are taking up the dining part of the room, my microwave is in the hall and there is dust and dirt everywhere. I also made an official complaint to my insurer - Liverpool Victoria - they sent me a cheque for £150. I wold be grateful for any advise to resolve this matter. Thank you.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this,

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wan tthem to improve their off of compensation

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I cal for time taken off work for unnecessary works to my kitchen, plus dog carer fees and and also distress and unnecessary disruption?

Yes you can claim for all that if it is DIRECTLY related.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great -so just to be absolutely clear - I can claim for the dog carer; time taken off for sub-sub-contractors to install dehumidifiers which were not necessary and distress caused by the unnecessary works; delays, lack of communication and negligence which they have admitted to.

Yes you can.

Does that clarify? Alex

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you