How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife will be inheriting from her Swiss father, she is

This answer was rated:

My wife will be inheriting from her Swiss father, she is Swiss uk resident with leave to remain. Is there a threshold before inheritance tax is paid and does income from the sale of some of his estate, after his death, need to be taxed as income in the uk?

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Please confirm that the assets in the Estate were all in Switzerland

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were, in the fribourg canto where there is no inheritance tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, canton

Will the Estate come to her in Cash rather than assets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially a cash amount from his estate of approx 220,000 Swiss francsin heritance. She is also due an amount from the sale of part of her grandfathers estate company approx 187,000 Swiss francs. She will also hold 3/16 of her fathers estate which includes some of her (above mentioned) grandfathers estate company as well. It is all quite complicated!

In that case no tax will be payable when the money comes into her possession - although of course any income she receives from investments will be taxable in the normal way.

Assuming any tax on income from the company is paid in Switzerland she will not have to pay a second chunk here in the Uk

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you