How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We engaged a builder to renovate our property in Twickenham,

This answer was rated:

We engaged a builder to renovate our property in Twickenham, London. After agreeing a price the builder asked for a deposit of £5,000 to secure them which we duly paid via BACS transfer.
Shortly after transferring the deposit, the builder stopped returning calls and emails. Eventually they emailed to inform us that "due to unforeseen circumstances" they could no longer proceed with the work, but they would return our deposit via a bank cheque. 8 weeks have passed and despite us sending countless emails and leaving numerous voicemails, the builders have not sent a cheque and no have they responded to any of our messages.
We are desperate to recover our deposit as we took out a loan to pay the deposit, so are paying interest with absolutely nothing to show for it. We don't see any other steps we could take apart from engaging a solicitor.
Is there any other type of action we could take to recover our deposit?
Ro Constable.

Do you know his address?

Does he trade as a limited company?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo,
I believe they are. NBT Construction. They have a registered office in Ashford:
***** Ashford. TW15 1AD. We have their VAT registration detailsRo.

Are they a limited company?

To whom did you pay the deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are. We paid the deposit directly to their bank account.

Do you know how long they have been trading?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe they've been trading under that name for 3 years.

You can always sue them.

There is always a risk with limited companies because they can close down but if they have been trading for three years that is not all that likely.

You don't need to use a solicitor. You can claim at the small claims court and self represent. This is not a complicated case.

That said, there are no other ways of forcing them to pay if they are unwilling.

You could always send them a letter before action which might be effective.

But if they ignore that then the only way to get a judgment that you can enforce is to sue.

You can issue here

Can I clarify anything for you?


Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jo. As we have sent them repeated correspondence with no response or action, I don't think that course of action will work. So we will pursue them via small claims.Is there any chance you can provide me with the links for making a claim via the small claims court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice Jo. Nothin else to clarify.Thanks again.Ro.