How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10779
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am retired and 73 years old, my wife is retired and 67

This answer was rated:

I am retired and 73 years old, my wife is retired and 67 years old, we own the house we live in.
We have a son aged 31 who for 12years or so has lived with us, suffers from mental health problems and has been on benefits of £250 every 2 weeks.
His GP and we have decided that it would be best if he were to live on his own. So, we are in the process of buying him a flat for £147000. I have just found out that i will have to pay the second home stamp duty on this flat.
If we can show that the flat is for our unwell son, and promise to prove this on a regular bases can we be spared the second home stamp duty.
Should I try to discuss the situation direct with the Tax Office


Thanks for your enquiry.

I'm afraid that unless the monies being used to purchase the property belong to your Son (and you are purchasing the property as his Attorney, which you are not), you will be liable for the higher rate of Stamp Duty.

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to argue your case with HM Revenue & Customs- it is your money, and you will be entitled to the proceeds of Sale as and when the flat is sold. Therefore you will be liable for the Stamp Duty of £4,850.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.

If I have answered your question, please don't forget to rate my answer.


Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.....I think!!!!