How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have lent a couple of thousands pound to a friend when he

Customer Question

I have lent a couple of thousands pound to a friend when he needed to find a new place to stay quickly. After a year of lies and excuses he finally start to pay it back, he set a standing order, but he stopped it 2 months later because of some other 'problems'. I have proof of me lending him money, and I saved all the Facebook and whatsapp's conversations.
He does not answers my calls or reply to my messages.
I would like to know what my options are, and if there are any services available which are not too expensive. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Do you know where he lives please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also where he works.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please. Could I ask what are the fees for an eventual hearing in court, and if I will have to pay them or my friend would be charged with those.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Court fees are here:

You would have to pay an issue fee and hearing fee.

Your friend would have to pay if you win.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. What about asking the help of a mediator?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You can yes. Does that clarify? Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: