How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been living with a man years and to some extent

Customer Question

I have been living with a man for 7 years and to some extent acting as his carer. He has died. Do I have any claim against his estate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Do you mean that he was your partner?

What assets are there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was my partner.Not sure probably around £1/2m before IHT.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you understand that a telephone call costs more

Is there a Will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The will leaves everything to his nephews and nieces.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been charged £38 and I have not had an answer.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Since you had been cohabiting for more than two years at the time of his death you do indeed have a clear claim on his estate under the Inheritance (Provision for family and dependants) Act

You can read more here

There are strict time limits involved so you must seek face to face advice as soon as possible - but you do have a clear claim

Please ask if you need further details