How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I currently live with my partner. We have a joint mortgage.

Customer Question

Dear Sir, I currently live with my partner. We have a joint mortgage. Upon the purchase of the property I contributed around £170000 twowards the purchase and fees. My partner contributed around £10000. We have a tenants in common agreement. However I made an error thinking that only the profit in the property would be equally shared should we split up and that we'd each get our contributions returned. However as i understand it, my partner is entitled to half of everything should we split up ? I have questioned her and she wont re think the situation. How can I now get out of this current agreement to protect my investment ?
Stuart Finch
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

What exactly does the current agreement say?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have it to hand but we each have a 50/50 share in the property
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Did you speak to your conveyancer before agreeing to that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My solicitor did point out that it would be a 50/50 share but as i said before I didnt think that applied to what we each put into the property
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Are you aware that a telephone call costs more?

Are you willing to end your relationship on the matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it means i keep £170000 for my son's inheritance, yes i'd end the relationship
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Do you actually want a phone call?

Have you informed your partner that you feel this strongly about the matter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
phone call not necessary. Yes i have spoken to her several times but she wont budge on the matter. She said she only had £10000 to put into the property. I have since found out she has £13000 in another account that she says is her and her daughters money. I put all of my and my son's money into the property, i feel very stupid and duped