How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

My problem is I have split up with my partner, I sold my

This answer was rated:

Hello, my problem is I have split up with my partner, I sold my house and gave him 50% of the proceeds from the house. we have a joint account, I want my name taken off the account, I dont want any of the money, just my name taken off and my ex partner will not sign his part of the paperwork that the bank insists we both have to complete. How do I get around this, is there anything I can do. He has even taken my bank card off me, so I have no access to even change my address details.

Hi, thank you for your question. Unfortunately, this will depend on the terms and conditions of the bank - it is usual for joint accounts to only be closed upon signing by both holders. However, you should inform them that you have now separated from your partner and you wish to freeze the account and remove any overdraft limit to avoid the account becoming overdrawn which will put you at risk of debt.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you