How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49788
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have a question about the following: I am an employee in

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
My name is Georgi ********** and I have a question about the following:
I am an employee in Ney Ltd., Coventry since 15 Sept. 2015. I work as a machine refurbishment engineer and no matter my requests I had not seen or signed my labor contract on paper. I was not very much bothered, since I was getting payed regularly and had good relations with the management until recently, when the managing director Mrs Shahana ******** called me to tel me that they are actually closing the refurbishment department and offered me option to move to a branch of the company in Northern Ireland as production worker but a reduced salary. In the meantime for last couple weeks I am doing various thins like grass cutting - just to keep me busy. Do I have any right for compensation I decide to quit this job in attempt find something more suitable for my qualification and reasonable pay?
Thank you!
Georgi *********

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Are you willing to consider moving to Northern Ireland?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, for two reasons.
1. I recently joined Coventry Aeroplane Club and started pilot training course.
2. I have a daughter and grandchildren in Maidstone, Kent and will be more difficult - and expensive- for me to visit them from Northern Ireland

Thank you. It looks like this is a genuine redundancy situation because your position is being removed and it is relocating. Therefore the employer can legally make you redundant. In a redundancy situation they would have a duty to try and offer you any suitable alternatives that exist so that if possible you an remain in a job but if no such positions are available then you will likely have to end your employment and be made redundant.

Under law you need 2 years service with an employer to be eligible for a redundancy payment so you will not be able to receive that in your case. There is no other compensation available in the circumstances and the only payments you can expect are your contractual notice period, your pay to date and any outstanding holidays. So even if you are forced to quit because they have no other suitable positions for you these are the only payments you would be entitled to and under aw there is nothing else you can pursue them for.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Ben Jones and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your prompt response Mr. Jones. It was fast and clear, no mater the "bad news" and I really appreciate it.Thank you very much!Georgi

You are welcome, all the best and good luck with the training