How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I am going through a separation which was very intense and

Customer Question

Hi, I am going through a separation which was very intense and abusive. My husband has a cocaine adiction which causes him to leave home and not return for a number of days and when he gets home becomes very abusive verbally not physically. We have a three year old daughter who is very close to both of us as we don't have any family or close friends here in the UK. I am Australian citizen and at one point the situation got very intense and unbearable for me so I just booked my ticket and left the country with my daughter. My ex husband invoked the Hague convention and I returned back to the UK on concent with our 3yr old daughter.
Now I find myself in a situation where I have no job, no accommodation and I have no idea what my rights are and what I can do and where to go from here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. Are you in England or Wales and Was there ever any police or social services involvement regarding the abuse, if so what did they do and when was it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in London. We were happily married until last year September when I discovered his addiction and affairs. The police was involved in one occasion which was February 12 or 13th 2016. The police came and asked him to leave the house and when he left, he was making threats towards me so that was when I booked my tickets and went to Australia
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Has he received a caution or conviction for any abuse? Has your GP seen you about any abuse or referred you to a domestic violence organisation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, as I said he has never been abusive physically just very controlling. I didn't even know I had been in an abusive relationship until recently I read about abuse online. He has never been physically abusive.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming. I was checking to see if you would be eligible for legal aid in relation to the family matter, however, for private law children and divorce matters you will only be eligible if there is domestic abuse evidence.

In relation to the family mediation, you would be entitled to legal aid for this without the need to prove domestic violence. You should therefore contact the mediator and request confirmation if they provide legal aid, and if they do not they should provide you details of legal aid mediators.

If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you