How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 50199
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

The union I was paying from my wages was to support me with

This answer was rated:

The union I was paying from my wages was to support me with a tribunal but told me I only have a 50 percent chance off winning and would not help me in court I went to the tribunal and one on my owe no support from my union I would like to take the union to small claims court
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the union had done there job in the first place I would not have been sacked and used all my savings to live on for 8 months unemployed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello why was it the unions fault that you were sacked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi in my 2nd stage 2 interview on the same night I received a written warning which breaks royal mail procedure and the union should have known that as I told the reps about this and they done nothing thats one reason I won my tribunal this year thats why. When you pay to be represented the union let me down

Hello, sorry I was offline by the time you had replied. In the circumstances the only thing you can potentially do is hold the union responsible under the law of negligence. You would be arguing that the representation they provided you with fell below the standard expected of a reasonable union in their position. You would however be expected to show that any other reasonable union, with the same knowledge and expertise of your one, would have acted in a different manner and would have clearly made different decisions. This may not necessarily be that easy to prove though because not every other union would have necessarily acted in such a different way that what happened to you would have definitely been avoided. So whilst it is certainly possible to consider taking this matter further, be aware of the potential difficulties in doing so. You just don’t want to end up pursuing a legal claim and incurring further costs and takin up lots of your time for something which may not necessarily get very far. As you are the one making the claim it would be for you to prove that their actions were negligent in the eyes of the law as discussed above.

There is nothing stopping you from pursuing them directly and unofficially to start with to see if they can resolve this with you, but If that fails then your only option is to make a formal claim.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the steps you need to follow if you want to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Ben Jones and 6 other Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over compensation owed by one party to another, the party at fault can be pursued through the civil courts. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the party at fault to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the party at fault must be sent a formal letter asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue the compensation due. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the other side and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.