How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I had a soakaway built in my front garden, the contractor

Customer Question

Hi, I had a soakaway built in my front garden, the contractor decided to ruin the remaining driveway by bringing in a digger and dumping all the soild, bricks on my perfect driveway, which was clearly a strategy to make the job bigger and get more money from me. He told me my bricks were really bad (they did not have a single crack, dent etc in them) and said he recommended replacing with Marshall bricks which he could get me cheap. Naively, I agreed, thinking he was the professional. Now, I have a driveway full of terrible bricks (cheapest ones on the market) and the job has been done really badly and majority of blocks are chipped. We parted on bad terms as I was not happy with the work - I have contacted the brick supplier and sent photos to make sure there is not a brick quality issue going on, but wanted to check what I could do as I dont want trouble, but just value for the £8000 I spent. Its just not a quality job.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the value of putting the work tight? Have you paid the £8000?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the value would be the cost of new bricks (approx 2,000 and a new contractor - so lets say £4000. Yes, I already paid the £8000
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of that cost within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is clear - thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex

Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: