How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I was in a cohabiting relationship before the break up of

This answer was rated:

I was in a cohabiting relationship before the break up of our relationship
I put £47000 deposit on our joint mortgage I paid off all the mortgage of £85000 as well as putting £18000 into my ex partners account for half the bills
I also paid between £25000 - £30000 in improving the property & she put about £4000 into it
Now we have split she wants half
Where do I stand
she also got her name on the deeds early this year after all of those payments I've made

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are you married to her and do tou have children together, if so how old and what are the proposed arrangements?

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-Are there any formal agreements or deeds of trust?

-What is the value of the property and outstanding mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we are not married
We have no children together ( she has 1 son who is 20 )
The property has been valued between 120000 - £160000
We have no deeds only the house deeds of which she was put on in Feb this yearRegardsDave

Are there any formal agreements or intentions at all regarding the contributions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she pays the house bills & I pay the mortgage but if u look at my last answer I payed all the mortgage & also half the bills as well so I pay 150%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As anove
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mortgage paid no outstanding

Thanks for confirming. Firstly, the legal position as you are unmarried is that you are both legally entitled to a share of the proceeds of sale in accordance with how the title is held - so if it is as joint tenants then it will be 50-50.

However, given that you have made significant contributions it would be reasonable for you to seek a greater share of the proceeds because of the contributions but if she does not voluntarily agree to this you will need to apply to your local county court using form N1 and a £355 court fee.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Harris and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to b a pain but I found out today that when we did our wills I gave her what u call a present & that is half the house so if either of us has to go into a nursing home the other is more protected & ive also been given this same present if that's what u would call it so we are both covered if anyone of us has to go into nursing home
So how now does this effect the original outcome

No worries - by "present" do you mean including it in the will itself to pass on to each other upon death?

In the will, this is how property is dealt with upon death and not if you were to go to a nursing home so I do not see how this will impact anything.