How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How can a UK national, UK domiciled but not resident, spend

Customer Question

How long can a UK national, UK domiciled but not resident, spend in the Isle of Man without acquiring tax residence? (Faiing a Manx lawyer a UK tax lawyer might know)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If you are visiting the Isle of Man temporarily you will become resident for income tax purposes if you stay for more than 6 months in any one tax year. If you visit and then decide to stay permanently the government will ask you for the date you first arrived and when you decided to stay permanently. If you intend to move there permanently you will be classed as resident from the first day of your arrival. If you live elsewhere and make, or intend to make, regular visits which in total exceed 90 days per tax year you may also be classed as resident there for tax purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your last sentence implies that the maximum period is, in effect, ninety days. I had understood, however that the ninety day period applied only in the case of ninety days per year over a period of four years (perhaps averaged over that period). Is that right? My desire is to go there for about 120 days this tax year as a one-off, perhaps never going there again. Can I do this and be sure of avoiding IoM tax complications?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can. The difference is the words "regular visits". You are making one visit of less than six months.